[PlanetCCRMA] Pentium-4 and denormal numbers on planetccrma

Wed Jan 12 10:11:01 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 05:45, andersvi@extern.uio.no wrote:
> Question is whether these switches (without the -mcpu=pentium4
> switch), or another solution to the problem, can be used in
> general for the whole planet-distribution?  With not much
> knowledge about denormal numbers, I guess all "realtime" apps
> might suffer from the same problem.  Jack, softsynths, plugins,
> etc.
>
> One use of planetccrma is to make installing precompiled audio
> and video-apps easy.  This problem brings at least me back to
> stage 1.

Agreed. When I did some research on this I finally decided that the
individual applications need to be fixed to handle this.

The fix that Steve posted would work only if the application is compiled
with sse, and not all cpus have sse instructions, so I don't think I
should use this (well, probably only very very old ones). I also think I
read somewhere that the compile does not necessarily deal with sse very
well (again, maybe older versions).

What is needed is app writers to id the places where the problem is
happening and insert code that will zero the denormals.

This is also happening in freeverb. I think it does have denormal
handling code but somewhoe it is not working as it should.

-- Fernando