[PlanetCCRMA] what's the best distro - RH9, FCn?

Matt Barber brbrofsvl@aol.com
Mon Jan 10 11:13:01 2005

On the other hand, if you want a quick fix, you can always put "modprobe
nvidia" in your /etc/rc.local   .... the udev way is almost certainly
better, though.

Matt

->> if you can do without 3d acceleration, i'd definitely take the
plunge> and do a fedora core 2 installation with the latest kernels -
fc3 might> be a tad ambitious right now :)
Hi!

I'm running Nvidia drivers without any problems on Fedora Core 3 and I
see no reason why you couldn't either. I followed these instructions to
get Nvidia drivers work after I had installed Planet CCRMA FC3 kernel.

Make a backup copy of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file before trying this
out.

Here's how: (instructions taken from The Unofficial Fedora FAQ)

   1. Get the lastest linux drivers.
   2. Now print this out, or write it down, because we're going to close
X, the graphical part of Linux.
   3. Open a Terminal.
   4. Become root:

      su -
   5. Shut down X:

      init 3
   6. Now, you will have a "Login:" prompt. Log in as root and go to the
directory where you downloaded the nVidia drivers.
   7. Type:

      sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg*.run
   8. Type:

      cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices/
   9. Type:

      chown root: /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
  10. Follow nVidia's instructions to set up the driver. (Read the
"EDITING YOUR X CONFIG FILE" section.)

  11. Type:

      modprobe nvidia
  12. You can now restart X by typing:

      init 5

Notice also that you will have to go through these steps each time you
decide to upgrade your kernel.

Hope you can make it work!

Some related websites:
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc3.shtml<-