[PlanetCCRMA] Re: YAUAQ (yet another USB audio question): Roland UA-25

Diemo Schwarz Diemo.Schwarz@ircam.fr
Mon Jan 10 02:11:00 2005

Hi Luis,

I took the liberty to cc this to both interested lists.

Luis Garrido wrote:
 > Hi, Diemo.
 >
 > I saw this message of yours at the planet CCRMA forum. Did you acquire
 > this unit?
 >
 > I bought myself an UA-25 unit and I am having a hard time making it work
 > with Agnula DeMuDi. So far I got the audio part working, but in a choppy
 > noisy way.

I had the chance to try a UA-25 on Linux with an old distibution (RH 8) and
ALSA (0.96).  With the standard usb-audio module, and when the device is set to
   basic mode, audio i/o works (analog and digital), presumably in 16bit, but
no MIDI (didn't try too hard, though).

 > Before downloading the Fedora/CCRMA stuff, I would be grateful if you
 > could tell me whether you succeeded or not in making it work under this
 > distro.

I haven't made it to upgrade to ALSA 1.0.7 yet, which claims support for this
card.  I don't know which ALSA version comes with the latest PlanetCCRMA/FC3,
the page
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/system.html#SECTION000411200000000000000
stops at FC1, and the directories for fedora can't be listed (server config
error?).

> Besides, when I power up my UA-25 I hear a high frequency hiss coming
> from the unit itself (not the speakers). After some time of the unit
> being powered (around 5 minutes) I can cut the hiss by pressing the
> Mon.Sw. button. Did you experience such a noise?

Ah!  That explains what I experienced twice.  I always thought it was my
cables that were faulty and some wiggling did remove the hiss!  Thanks for
pointing this out!

BTW:  There is now a heavy contender, but with firewire, alas.  (Any news about
firewire audio for Linux, anyone?):

http://presonus.com/firebox.html
6 in, 10 out, SPDIF, MIDI, bus or externally powered
Insiders claim it has two very good sounding preamps, as that's where Presonus
came from.

Cheers...
								...Diemo

--