[PlanetCCRMA] upgrade questions RH8->FC3

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 03:19:01 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:16:56AM +0100, Diemo Schwarz wrote:

> bob wrote:
> >HI Just doing it now!
> [...]
> >What do you all need in the way of info?
> >and I'll post it later.
>
> Great!
>
> What distribution version are you starting from?
>
> What is your method:
> - from FC3 (+Planet?) CDs, or
> - via apt

I dont recommend doing it via apt - I tried that once, and... well... all
I can say is, I'm glad rpm is statically linked. I managed to get the
machine back up, but it was hard work.

I think its recommended that you do it in two hops RH9->FC?->FC3, I cant
remeber what ? is though, probably 1.

I think I would backup all the stuff you need, wipe and reinstall for
that big a jump. Otherwise you will loose some of the features of FC3, as
the upgrades dont usually add non-vital new features.

- Steve