[PlanetCCRMA] New Install For FC3

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 6 04:18:02 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:34:00 +0000, Frank smith wrote:
>  So, just 2 days ago I upgraded my computer to a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 that
>  supports hyperthreading. Yesterday I was trying to install Planet CCRMA
>  on Fedora Core 1, but it was devastating to see that for some reason FC
>  1 was unstable with this Pentium 4 and I couldn't get it installed. I
>  was experiencing strange lock-ups - for example when I tried to upgrade
>  the kernel to Planet CCRMA kernel, the computer just froze while doing
>  rpm -i.

It would be a software proboem, but it could also be a hardware problem,
especially if its a new machine. I would run metest86 (which is available
from the boot menu on CD1 I think) overnight to check everything is OK.

You should be fine, I've run hyperthreaded machines on kernels older than
the one in FC3.

- Steve