[PlanetCCRMA] Linux for Mastering

Jason Milo Jason Milo <jason.milo@gmail.com>
Wed Jan 5 18:02:54 2005

I'm completely new to this list and Linux audio...so please be gentle...

First off......Planet CCRMA kicks much butt!

Secondly...

I'm in the process of setting up a FC2 based mastering rig centered
around jack, jamin, ardour, and I  am very please with my current
systems capabilities.

I have a bunch general Linux audio questions that I have researched,
but have not found simple solutions....

1.  Metering - I have found some VU "round analog" looking
meters....but I would like a unified metering  window that would fit a
mastering environment (VU, PPM, Jellyfish, Freq analysis, etc...) any
ideas?

2.  I want to be able to easily start mastering sessions using a
common template that would include my jack/alsa "patchbay" settings,
ardour and jamin session templates...I was thinking of writing a
script to do this, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel....is there
a session manager that works with all of the jack applications and the
jack patchbay?

3.  Are there any other mastering engineers on this list that are
willing to explain their current hardware/software setups used for
mastering?

4.  Any tips on how to get involved with open-source audio projects
even though I'm not a true programmer.  I have great ideas related to
audio apps, but I don't have the programming skills to execute these
ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Jason