[PlanetCCRMA] HOWTO: Installing Nvidia Drivers on 2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma

Spec specialaka@blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 16:03:02 2005

I was wondering why opengl was running so slow on my geforce2 card, so
did some reading, have to install drivers from nvidia rather than the
standard "nv" driver used...
I read a bit and then found standard driver wouldnt compile, read
further got patches, compiled and seems to work OK now heres what I
did,  (includes snips from various helpful posts)

1. get driver from nvidia site
bah - doesn't compile oot the box
2. read aboot patches
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=097501fb77f8e403868fc42e286704f3&t=46676
3. get accumulated patches
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-6629-02.28.2004.diff.txt
4. do following to get to and from run mode 3
su -
telinit 3
may need ctl-alt-f1 for console
# ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run --extract-only
# cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1
# patch -p0 < NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-6629-02.28.2004.diff.txt
think he made a date error here (the classic... up to 3 months after?)
the article date is 28/2/2005 (see above link at 2.)
# ./nvidia-installer
that compiles OK says something about kernel tainted - appreciate
further info on that
5. edit "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Device section and replace the line:
        Driver "nv"
    (or Driver "vesa")
with
        Driver "nvidia"
In the Module section, make sure you have:
        Load   "glx"
You should also remove the following lines:
       Load  "dri"
        Load  "GLcore"
6. if you dont want nvidia splash screen
Just add the line:
Option "NoLogo"
To the "Device" section of your xorg.conf
7.  Load new driver and configure for FC3 udev
modprobe nvidia
cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
8. Also a note about potential conflicting driver
I have not done this yet, not noticed 3d accelerated apps running slow
(I'll check Wolf ET again one of these days)
You may need to remove some conflicting files, only do this if 3d
accelerated apps do not appear to be working.
rpm -e --nodeps xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL
NOTE: If you update any "xorg-x11" package with up2date or yum, you will
have to do the above command again.

Bingo! - 60fps fullscreen in GLSlideShow where it was getting 0.5
before.  Nice.

would appreciate comments about any effect on realtime performance after
having done this, will post feedback as it occurs.  Hope someone can
also verify wot I dun is OK also. TIA.