[PlanetCCRMA] realcap still around and causing messages

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Mon Feb 28 10:24:03 2005

On 28 Feb 2005 09:59:49 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 09:02, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    From possibly 4-6 months ago I was using a kernel module called
> > realcap. The module doesn't exist in the newest kernels but it still
> > shows up in chkconfig as running in levels 3, 4 & 5 and causes my boot
> > process to throw a warning message.
> >
> >    Is there any reason I should not delete the file
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/realcap? Are there other files I need to get rid of?
> > Will getting rid of that file remove it automatically from the
> > chkconfig listing or do I need to do something else?
>
> No reason to not get rid of it. First disable it from all runlevels:
>   /sbin/chkconfig realcap off
> and then erase /etc/rc.d/init.d/realcap, that should do it.

Thanks Fernando. I'm trying that but still seeing some message.
Problem is right now I have the graphical boot turned on so I don't
have a change to read it since it goes to gdm. I'll try turning a bot
of that off and see if I Can read more on the next reboot.

In the meantime I looked at /var/log/boot.log and I see a few items
worth a question:

Feb 28 10:12:16 Godzilla ntpd:  failed
Feb 28 10:12:16 Godzilla ntpd: ntpd startup succeeded

Why does ntpd fail but ntpd startup succeed. I've asked the machine to
sync with an external time server at UCLA that I've used in the past.
Possibly it's not working? How might I debug that and clean this up?

Feb 28 10:12:16 Godzilla rtirq: grep:
Feb 28 10:12:16 Godzilla rtirq: /proc/asound/cards: No such file or directory

What is the above message about? Should rtirq be after the following
alsa stuff or is it correct where it is? rtload comes further down.

Feb 28 10:12:16 Godzilla rc: Starting rtirq:  succeeded
Feb 28 10:12:17 Godzilla alsasound: Starting sound driver snd-hdsp succeeded
Feb 28 10:12:18 Godzilla alsasound: Starting sequencer succeeded
Feb 28 10:12:18 Godzilla alsasound: Starting sequencer driver
snd-seq-midi succeeded
Feb 28 10:12:18 Godzilla alsasound: Restoring sound driver settings succeeded
Feb 28 10:12:18 Godzilla crond: crond startup succeeded
Feb 28 10:12:18 Godzilla xfs: xfs startup succeeded
Feb 28 10:12:19 Godzilla anacron: anacron startup succeeded
Feb 28 10:12:19 Godzilla atd: atd startup succeeded
Feb 28 10:12:19 Godzilla readahead: Starting background readahead:
Feb 28 10:12:19 Godzilla rc: Starting readahead:  succeeded
Feb 28 10:12:19 Godzilla messagebus: messagebus startup succeeded
Feb 28 10:12:23 Godzilla rtload:  succeeded
Feb 28 10:12:23 Godzilla mdmpd: mdmpd failed

Need to look up mdmpd. Is that something I shouldn't be running?

thanks,
Mark