[PlanetCCRMA] DiGi9652 or HDSP9652 ?

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Sat Feb 26 07:28:01 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:03:52 +0100, Michele Spinolo
<michele.spinolo@tin.it> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm going to buy one of these cards, and I was wondering what about the
> differences from one to each other and concernig ALSA's support.
> By ALSA's website seems they are completly supported, but I would like to
> have some users' confimations.
>
> On RME website I focused this words:
>
>  HDSP 9652 is the long-awaited successor of the well-known PCI card Project
> Hammerfall (DIGI9652). Like the original Hammerfall, HDSP 9652 offers 3 x
> ADAT optical I/O, ADAT-Sync In, SPDIF I/O and word clock I/O. On top, there
> are 2 MIDI I/Os and TotalMix, a DSP-based real-time mixer/router.
>
> apart from MIDI I/Os which I do not care about, I didn't understand what
> TotalMix will do on HDSP9652 and under Linux.
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who will help!
> Michele

TotalMix is a big, fat, wonderful on-screen mixer that allows you to
control the HDSP9652 under Windows. The Linux equivalent is called
hdspmixer. To me it's easily worth the price of admission to the HDSP
line as you can really easily monitor input and output levels as well
as control the hardware mixer in the HDSP.

It's primarily the hardware mixer (and MIDI support) than makes the
hdsp9652 different from the Hammerfall. With the Hammerfall there is
no mixing and all level setting must be done using alsa commands.

- Mark