[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Mulitple Jack audio interfaces (was Tascam US-122 audio problem)

Andrew Burgess aab@cichlid.com
Fri Feb 25 10:07:01 2005

>>It should be possible with firewire devices, as its possible to make them
>>share a common clock, but with unmodified consumer PCI devices you have no
>>source of sync, the drift will be substantially more than 1 sample every
>>100k.

>How much more substantial will it be? That seems like a high guess to me,
>aren't crystals accurate to a few ppm?

I ran some overnight tests and found with 3 soundcards (2 usb and one mb)
the rates differed by 2-4 samples/sec. About 10 times more than my 100k
estimate (oops).

I think I'll try generating some pure sin tones and see if I can
audibly detect sample insertion/deletion, or maybe try to find the
detection threshold.