[PlanetCCRMA] Pd and UC-33 Controller

Tue Feb 22 12:25:03 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 09:48, Robert Gruendler wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> i'm new to linux-audio and first of all i wanna shout out big thanks to
> Planet-CCRMA. As a linux newbie i fiddled around 2 weeks now to make my
> linux-box do the audio thing, with very bad results. After checking out
> CCRM,  and installing everything from their repository, now it all works
> flawlessly :) !
>
> Well, nearly everything works... i'm having troubles getting my Evolution
> UC-33 midi-controller to work with Pd.
>
> I know this issue has been discussed already here, but i simply can't get
> this thing working.
>
> I have followed the steps in the USB-Midi-Howto, i added usb-midi and audio
> to /etc/hotplug/blacklist. I edited my /etc/modprobe.conf the way explained
> in CCRM Install documentation.
>
> Other apps (muse, jack) do recognize the controller.
>
> Here are some outputs that might help:
>
> /sbin/lsmod | grep usb
>
> usblp                  12800  0
> snd_usb_audio          68928  0
> snd_usb_lib            14208  1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_pcm               108680  7
> snd_usb_audio,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_rawmidi            27552  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_usb_lib,snd_mpu401_uart
> snd                    68484
> 20
> snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,
> snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
>
> 0 [V8235          ]: VIA8233 - VIA 8235
>                      VIA 8235 with VT1616i at 0xe000, irq 22
> 1 [Controller     ]: USB-Audio - UC-33 USB MIDI Controller
>                      Evolution Electronics Ltd. UC-33 USB MIDI Controller at
> usb-0000:00:10.2-1, ful

So alsa sees the device, good.

> cat /proc/asound/devices
> 17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback
> 15: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
> 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
> 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
>  0: [0- 0]: ctl
>  1:       : sequencer
> 33:       : timer
> 40: [1- 0]: raw midi
> 32: [1- 0]: ctl
>
> i've tried starting pd with the following flags, no luck
>
> pd -jack -mididev 1 / 2 / 3    <---- on at a time of course
> pd -jack -mididev 32 / 33 / 34 / 39 / 40 /41     <----- same here

The current version of Pd still uses oss for midi... sigh... is this on
FC3? Perhaps you are being bitten by the lack of default oss midi device
files in udev's configuration. Check to see if you have the device files
and you have permission to open them:

  ls -l /dev/midi*

If there are no device files do this:

  cd /dev
  ./MAKEDEV midi

that should create them. To make the change permanent (for now, I should
get a package that does this for you) copy those files to
/etc/udev/devices, they will be recreated on the next boot.

-- Fernando