[PlanetCCRMA] Re: jack-rack

jason.ronallo@gmail.com jason.ronallo@gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 07:24:03 2005

On 19 Feb 2005 11:15:11 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Yes, but the problem is probably that you have _both_ versions installed
> now. It depends on what options you used to compile the cvs version,
> usually you would want to use "--prefix=/usr", otherwise it will install
> in /usr/local instead of /usr and will not overwrite the old stuff still
> in /usr. So you have two different versions of jack, and things don't
> work.
>
> -- Fernando

OK, obviously my first time compiling out of cvs didn't go as well as
I'd thought. I wanted to try the experimental rawusb driver for a
Tascam usb interface (and got good results).

What's the right way to add something out of cvs to the Planet?  I
wanted to build an rpm of jack (as well as some other packages I'm
interested in) because I'd heard it would be easier to manage. But I
read a bunch online and couldn't find a clear simple tutorial on the
process of building an rpm out of cvs that I could follow.

At one point I tried removing the planet's older jack rpm with
--no-deps but afterwards synaptic reported that all the packages were
broken and wouldn't install other packages until the broken packages
were fixed.

In compiling out of cvs I simply followed the instructions here:
http://jackit.sourceforge.net/download/
At what stage should I have used "--prefix=/usr"?
Should I "make uninstall" and then recompile it using that switch?
What happens to the older rpm I currently have installed?

Thanks for any help.

--Jason