[PlanetCCRMA] several fc3 issues

Tue Feb 15 15:46:01 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 10:24, Jonathan Segel wrote:
> after a few shows using my fc1 on sharp-laptop setup, i've gone back to
> trying to get fc3 working. i'm having some problems.
>
> several things won't start form the Sound & Video menu. Snd is one of
> them, whcih when launched from command line says segmentation fault!

I did see this problem and apparently it has to do with a combination of
opengl/motif/x issues. I have to do some followup on this as I though it
was only happening in my machine. Do you have X acceleration enabled?
What video card do you use? In my laptop there is some weird race
condition (have not had time to even try to debug this) so that
acceleration is not turned on after a reboot on the first login. Try
starting glxgears to see what sort of performance you are getting. In
that condition (acceleration not working) snd segfaults. If I logout and
login again (without rebooting) then glxgears reports good numbers and
snd works. Very very weird.

> fweelin launch nothing happens, but it has showed up in ps ax. if i
> kill its pid, suddenly it launches!

Same here, some issue with fweelin. That did not happen on the first
launch so it might have to do with wrong saved configuration settings.

> however it will only die via Esc, its window close doesn't do anything.
> use of fweelin still tends to freeze jack/qjackctl. nothing will move
> until jackd is killed.

I have not had freezes but the app is very experimental at this point.
For juggling delays I'd try sooperlooper.

> Synaptic won't give me a root pw query box when launched from menu.
> have to start is from command line.
>
> and most noticable: xruns! xruns that interfere with sound output! i'm
> trying by stopping lots of services, but still seems to happen on an
> almost regular basis. yuck.

That's not good. I'm having good performance myself. Have you installed
the kernel through the planetccrma-core-edge meta packages? If so, what
does /etc/rc.d/init.d/rtload status reports? Have you set up the
priority of jack to, say, something like "60"?

> this is using 2.6.10-0.5.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma, a  1.13ghz p3 laptop.
> in general i like the desktop gnome a lot better, though some applets
> don't seem to be there (wireless monitor?) but without working sound, i
> better stay with fc1 on this laptop.

Apparently...
-- Fernando