[PlanetCCRMA] Edirol UA-1D - optical spdif out -> stereo receiver

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Tue Feb 15 15:44:01 2005

Hi,
   I was wondering about connecting one of our PCs that has our CD
library ripped to ogg to our stereo via some sort of digital
connection. I have a number of optical spdif inputs on the receiver so
I was looking for a simple and low cost solution to get a single
optical spdif out from an Alsa machine. A bit of searching came up
with the Edirol UA-1D but I don't find it listed on the Alsa sight.
Does anyone have any knowledge about using this on a Planet machine?

   I found a couple of interesting posts. One said that it worked fine
for capture. (Ben Saylor) The other warned that this device only works
in one direction at a time which would be fine for my application.

   On the other hand can anyone suggest another option for
accomplishing this task? Note that I only care about stereo operation
and keeping the cost low.

   I'm not subscribed to any other Linux audio lists at the moment so
I thought I'd ask here as there is a wide degree of overlap between
the people.

Thanks,
Mark