[PlanetCCRMA] Some basic FC3+Audio questions

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Feb 8 11:38:01 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 02:01:21 -0500, Brian Panulla wrote:
> I've had a hard time getting audio CDs to play in XMMS. I did some
> digging and found that it was likely my CD drive did not support analog
> audio transfer, so I installed the cdread module for XMMS. I couldn't
> get any audio out of the CD until I played the test sound in my Gnome
> control panel. After that, CD audio plays fine. Does this make sense?
> Does playing the test sound load some module or start some service that
> is required for xmms?

Possibly it raises the levels of the mixer channels?

Try running alsamixer before and after playing the test sound and see if
the levels change. If thats it, you can use M to (un)mute channles and the
cursors to raise levels.

"alsactl store" will save the mixer levels for future boots, but you may
have to put an alsactl restore somewhere in your boot process to read
them.

- Steve