[PlanetCCRMA] kernel-module-alsa-2.6.10-0.4.rdt uninstalls allof Gnome when removed

Cardinal cardinalrg2@verizon.net
Tue Feb 8 11:27:02 2005

Thanks Fernando that was the ticket.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: planetccrma-admin@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
[mailto:planetccrma-admin@ccrma.Stanford.EDU] On Behalf Of Fernando
Lopez-Lezcano
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 3:29 PM
To: Cardinal
Cc: PlanetCCRMA@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] kernel-module-alsa-2.6.10-0.4.rdt uninstalls
allof Gnome when removed

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 12:26, Cardinal wrote:
> Fun times last night when trying to uninstall CCRMA from a test system
> gone server. I wanted to take this test system back to a stock kernel
> as it is now a server system. The package removal was done in Synaptic
> by searching for CCRMA versions installed. After removing the CCRMA
> versions the system became unstable, so I rebooted and found that
> Gnome was no longer installed. I guess that will teach me to look at
> "all" the packages synaptic removes! ;)

Yup... :-)

> Anyways, after reinstalling gnome I noticed that there were still
> CCRMA packages installed. When I highlighted the
> "kernel-module-alsa-2.6.10-0.4.rdt" package there was a list of other
> packages to be removed and it again is all of Gnome. Any suggestions
> on what I may be doing wrong would be appreciated.

It does not look like you are doing anything wrong.

What you should do is probably use apt-get, or just rpm -e to see what the
dependencies are. For example:

  rpm -e kernel-module-alsa-2.6.10-0.4.rdt.xxxx

And see what it says about dependencies. Probably the problematic dependency
chain is initiated by alsa-lib as the newer version included in Planet CCRMA
depends on alsa-driver (which does not exist in Fedora Core), and that
depends on at least one kernel-module-alsa being installed. So removing all
kernel-module-alsa packages will probably try to remove alsa-driver and
alsa-lib, and alsa-lib is needed by a LOT of packages :-)

What to do? (if the above turns out to be the real cause)

Hmmm, I'd say remove the Planet CCRMA repositories from apt first (if you
have not done that already).

Then remove "--nodeps" kernel-module-alsa-*, alsa-driver, alsa-lib and
probably alsa-utils (if they are Planet CCRMA versions). Then "apt-get
update" and "apt-get -f install". That should bring in the original Fedora
packages. You may need to "apt-get install alsa-utils" manually.