[PlanetCCRMA] Upgrade problems

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Tue Feb 8 08:38:01 2005

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:29:33 +0000, Andrew Longland-Meech
<andrew@longland-meech.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi nando, hi list!
>
> Hope someone can help/give me a few pointers/laugh at me :-) !
>
> I had a PlanetCCRMA box that was working perfectly well under RH9, but I
> decided it was about time for an upgrade (I know, I probably should have
> left well alone, but I've got free net access at the moment and I knew
> there'd be some pretty lengthy downloads!)
>
> Anyway, I upgraded to FC1 from some magazine cover disks I had,
> installed the new kernel, alsa, apt and synaptic as per web-site
> instructions, did an update then a dist-upgrade. Everything seemed to go
> without a hitch.
>
> However, I now have the following problems (first one probably not
> serious/worth bothering about):
>
> 1       On booting MySQL daemon fails with a timeout, and yet is running once
> the system is up;
>
> 2       On shutting down, gets as far as "unmounting file systems", then
> freezes, which means I have to shutdown "uncleanly", resulting in
> request for integrity check on the next boot;

Are you by chance using any NFS or Samba mounts? If you are, and
especially if you are using any wireless connections, I've recently
had similar problems. Adding a '_netdev' option in fstab seems to have
solved these for me.

> 3       Most importantly both ardour and audacity segfault with no other error
> message!!

Humm...that's not pretty...

> Would I have been better doing a clean install of FC1 rather than an
> upgrade (annoying)? Or would an upgrade/install of FC2 have been better
> (is the Planet working satisfactorily on FC2 now?).

I'm using FC2 on 3 machines, one of which does serious audio work
sometimes. FC2 is working well for me. From other threads not as many
apps are compiled for FC3 yet. You're choice which way to go.

> I don't want to go
> to FC3 yet - I prefer the trailing edge of technology (I was using a
> CP/M machine until about four years ago when I discovered Linux for the
> first time.)
>
> Please anyone any ideas/pointers? Anyone else remember having probs like
> this? Any more info required?

Good post from my POV.

Cheers,
Mark