[PlanetCCRMA] More HDSP/Digiface Dead Analog Out Info...

Wed Feb 2 10:11:01 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 23:46, Michael E. Smith wrote:
> Hi, again.

Hi, sorry but I won't have a chance to look at this till tomorrow...

> To recap, I've got meters (hdsp) but no signal at the line out of my
> Digiface/HDSP with the latest CCRMA kernels/alsa.
>
> Specifics:
>
> 1. I boot my CCRMA laptop (HDSP cardbus/digiface) with the
> 2.6.7-1.437.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma (alsa 1.0.5) kernel. Hdsploader, hdspmixer,
> hdspconf, Jack, and application (in this case Ardour) work just fine
> with signal at the line out.
>
> 2. I Reboot the same machine with either the 2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma
> or 2.6.10-0.2.rdt.rhfc2.ccrma (alsa 1.0.8-3 CCRMA with the latest hdsp
> patch). Hdsploader is unnecessary (hotplug?), but hdspmixer (with meters
> showing level), hdspconf, Jack, and application (again, Ardour) all
> appear fine. No signal at the line out.
>
> 3. I shut down the laptop, disconnect the digiface and take it upstairs
> to my CCRMA desktop (hdsp pci) and boot immediately into
> 2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma with everything behaving normally except no
> signal at the line out.
>
> 4. Reboot into 2.6.7-1.437.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma, everythings fine, including
> signal at the line out.
>
> 5. Now it gets good. I reboot into 2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma and lo and
> behold, I get signal at the line out. Same with
> 2.6.10-0.2.rdt.rhfc2.ccrma. Problem healed itself. Cool.

Something is being initialized by the earlier version of alsa, and is
not by the latest.

Do an "/usr/sbin/alsactl store" when it is working (the first time),
save the generated /etc/asound.state under a different name. Repeat when
it is not working. Compare the two. If different take the working
asound.state to the not working setup and reload it with alsactl
restore.

> 6. Take digiface back to laptop, boot to 2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma. No
> line out. Crap!

Well, obviously it is something the earlier version of alsa does. Once
you disconnect the digiface the firmware and everything else is gone.

-- Fernando