[PlanetCCRMA] udpate: kernel packages for FC4 in the planetedge repository

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Fri Dec 30 16:23:01 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 18:47 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Hi all... new experimental kernels just in time for the Holidays!
>
> (whether it works in your case or not could mean a better or worse
> Holiday break, so best luck in your testing!)
>
> THe usual caveat applies, if it is not broken don't fix it. If you are
> happy with the performance of your current FC4 kernel there's no need to
> upgrade!
>
> These kernels are now available on the Fedora Core 4 PlanetEdge
> repository. For details on how to install them please see the online
> ChangeLog at:
>
>   http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/changelog.html
>

> What's new, in short:
> - kernel 2.6.14-0.10.rrt:
>   based on 2.6.14 and Ingo's 2.6.14-rt22 realtime preemption patch
>   configured now with the PREEMPT_RT option (instead of the more
>   conservative PREEMPT_DESKTOP I had been using so far). Much better
>   latency behavior! (as usual only if it works on your hardware :-)
> - alsa 1.0.10 final
> - jackd 0.100.6-0.3.cvs. Includes a patch to not use the TSC by
>   default, TSC's don't work correctly on newer AMD dual core
>   processors and other cases (there is a new option in jackd to get the
>   old behavior back - details in the changelog).
>
> Feedback welcome[*]!

    Thanks Fernando, I've got it working on my new Athlon64 3700+.
Works like a champ.  Now all I need is the kernel source so I can build
my stinkin' NVIDIA video driver.  How do I get the sources?

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744