[PlanetCCRMA] status for updated jack-audio-connection-kit

R Parker rtp405@yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 20:08:03 2005

Rui,

> > <snip> There's been updates to Qjackctl too. I was
> > gonna send in a bug/usability report on its
> patchbay
> > but didn't want to until I run the most recent
> release.
>
> Take your chance and send those reports in :)

The Connections interface is intuitive. Routes are
established by drag-n-drop. The Patchbay leaves this
paradigm and forces the user to learn another
interface.

The patchbay would be easier to use if we could create
"sockets" with multiple plugs where routes can be
established by drag-n-drop of the plugs. We currently
create a socket and plug for every route:
Rosegarden_output-L(Socket): master out L(Plug)
Rosegarden_output-R: master out R

This could be:
Rosegarden_outputs: master out L/R

Add drag-n-drop to the plugs and the interface is
cleaner and more intuitive. I had to scratch my head
half bald before I could making sense of the current
design.

TOPIC CHANGE
When I say the Connections interface is intuitive that
shouldn't be confused with usable. The solution of
wires becomes an indecipherable visual entanglement in
every session I do as track and jack client counts
increase.

The best solution I'm aware of is what Jesse Chappel
has implemented in the Ardour Track Bus Inspector. I
don't know if it's the ultimate end of story but it
remains usable where the wire paridigm falls.

Thanks for listening,

ron