[PlanetCCRMA] /etc/fstab options and wierdness

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Thu Dec 15 20:10:03 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 11:52 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 19:11 -0500, Benjamin Hardy wrote:
> > I know, I should search more thoroughly on this, I'm sure there is
> > something on setting HD settings in the fstab file, but I can't remember
> > where.
> >
> > Anyways, I want to use the noatime option on my partitions as I've heard
> > it helps with performance.
> >
> > here's my fstab file: (i adjusted the spacing for easy viewing)
> > # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> > LABEL=/      /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> > LABEL=/boot  /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> > /dev/devpts  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> > /dev/shm     /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> > LABEL=/home  /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> > /dev/proc    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> > /dev/sys     /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> > /dev/hda3    swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> > /dev/hdb    /media/cdrecorder    auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> >
> > so I should change / , /boot,  and /home right?
> > can I just add noatime after the defaults option or do I have to remove
> > that? I think that the defaults option contains the rw, suid, dev, exec,
> > auto,  nouser, and async options so would i have to do this for
> > example?:
> > LABEL=/home /home ext3  rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async,noatime   1 2
>
> I think it would be enough to add "noatime" to the defaults, like:
> LABEL=/home /home ext3  defaults,noatime   1 2
>
> > Secondly, after installing FC4 (I didn't upgrade) with the cds I got
> > some boot errors that some mountpoints couldn't be mounted, it also gave
> > an error about LVM even though I didn't set up any LVM partitions.
>
> Did you do an automatic partition? If so, then I think fc4 sets up lvm
> on the whole disk and then does virtual volumes on top of that. I have
> actually never tried that myself, I just do a manual partition.
>
> > Here's the fstab from that. Did anyone else have this problem. My
> > computer locked up, and I hope it was just because of this and not
> > something else.
> > # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> > LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
> > 1 1
> > LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
> > 1 2
> > /dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
> > 0 0
> > /dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
> > 0 0
> > LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults
> > 1 2
> > /dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults
> > 0 0
> > /dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults
> > 0 0
> [...]

    I've done about 10 FC4 installs lately (Xeons, Pentiums, Athlons,
Athlon64s).  The install goes bat shit on swap for some reason.  The
QString line looks really fairly tame compared to some of the junk
that's been showing up in my fstabs.  I usually go back in and
use /dev/whatever and get rid of the garbage.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744