[PlanetCCRMA] RME Multiface or Digiface?

Henk Jansen burley@zonnet.nl
Sun Aug 28 13:10:01 2005

--=-KmzHMWy8mOrOIoHNIcmh

I'm a newbie to the world of home recording. I want to do multitrack
recording of our band and want to buy a capable RME device. Now I'm
confused about what the major differences are between an RME Multiface
and RME Digiface external soundcard. The Multiface has 8 parallel mono
inputs (jack plugs, as my mixer has, so I understand what they are for);
it speaks about 36 channels (of what...). The Digiface I read has 3 ADAT
channels, what are these for...; it speaks about 52 channels. Is
#channels == #tracks, I don't think so...

Considering my lack of experience, I might be looking for boots too big
to fit my size, but AFAIK the RME's are the only multitrack recording
devices that are properly supported by Linux/CCRMA software.

Some elementary help to increase my basic understanding would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

--Burley

BTW: Sorry for being slightly off-topic

--=-KmzHMWy8mOrOIoHNIcmh

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
I'm a newbie to the world of home recording. I want to do multitrack recording of our band and want to buy a capable RME device. Now I'm confused about what the major differences are between an RME Multiface and RME Digiface external soundcard. The Multiface has 8 parallel mono inputs (jack plugs, as my mixer has, so I understand what they are for); it speaks about 36 channels (of what...). The Digiface I read has 3 ADAT channels, what are these for...; it speaks about 52 channels. Is #channels == #tracks, I don't think so... <BR>
<BR>
Considering my lack of experience, I might be looking for boots too big to fit my size, but AFAIK the RME's are the only multitrack recording devices that are properly supported by Linux/CCRMA software. <BR>
<BR>
Some elementary help to increase my basic understanding would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.<BR>
<BR>
--Burley<BR>
<BR>
BTW: Sorry for being slightly off-topic