[PlanetCCRMA] Re: [PlanetCCRMANews] some FC3 notes

pirrone pirrone@localnet.com
Thu Aug 25 12:15:02 2005

Dave Phillips wrote:

> Greetings:
>
>  I've installed the FC3 system from Planet CCRMA on my laptop.
> Everything looks good so far, except for a few notable problems.
>
>    1. 'apt-get dist-upgrade' always fails with "E: Error while running
> transaction"
>
>    2. Firefox and Thunderbird won't run under Blackbox 0.70 (not a
> Planet C problem, but a real pain anyway)
>
>    3. The system wants to install the @$^&ing snd-nm256 module every
> time I boot.
>
>  I can work around problem #1 by using Synaptic and going through the
> marked upgrades a few at a time. Problem #2 apparently has to wait for
> a development fix. Hopefully I've resolved problem #3 by adding
> snd-nm256 to /etc/hotplug/blacklist.
>
>  As Fernando knows, I'll have more to say later... :)
>
> Best regards,
>
> dp

Dave,

If your not averse to trying Fluxbox (and I am not aware of any
superiority in Blackbox) Firefox and Thunderbird both work fine as does
everything else.  I have been using Flux for about 2 years now and still
feel it's far superior to the candied desktop environments.

One thing I like to do is run Eterm and sometimes Aterm in transparency
mode without title, windowframe, or scroll bar which against the subtle
dark blue with a barely visible checked background lets my CLI work
simply float on the screen.  With Midnight Commander set to support
transparency as well, I've got that floating on the screen as well -
both in its file manager mode and shelled out with ctrl-o, and while
editing files as well, complete with color syntax highlighting.

Frank

~/.fluxbox/menu and keys entries
Eterm --trans --borderless --scrollbar off --buttonbar off --geometry
100x44+185+65 --font 10x20 --foreground-color white -e mc

~/.mc/ini entries for colors with transparency (,default sets trans)
[Colors]
base_color=normal=white,default:directory=white,default:marked=yellow,default:selected=gray,white:ex
ecutable=brightgreen,default:link=lightgray,default:stalelink=brightred,default:special=brightblue,d
efault:device=magenta,default:editnormal=white,default