[PlanetCCRMA] Re: [PlanetCCRMANews] some FC3 notes

Thu Aug 25 09:36:01 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 04:21, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>   I've installed the FC3 system from Planet CCRMA on my laptop.
> Everything looks good so far, except for a few notable problems.
>
>     1. 'apt-get dist-upgrade' always fails with "E: Error while running
> transaction"

And nothing else? It must be printing some conflict or something...

>     2. Firefox and Thunderbird won't run under Blackbox 0.70 (not a
> Planet C problem, but a real pain anyway)

What is it that happens when you try to run them? Strange, I would have
imagined that they would not mind running on a different window manager.
Oh well...

>     3. The system wants to install the @$^&ing snd-nm256 module every
> time I boot.

Kudzu is trying to do that? And if you tell it to go ahead and configure
things for it it tries again on the next boot? Is this for a usb
soundcard? What does lspci say about your hardware?

>   I can work around problem #1 by using Synaptic and going through the
> marked upgrades a few at a time. Problem #2 apparently has to wait for a
> development fix. Hopefully I've resolved problem #3 by adding snd-nm256
> to /etc/hotplug/blacklist.

Or you could disable kudzu (if you are not going to change your hardware
configuration often - "/sbin/chkconfig kudzu off")

>   As Fernando knows, I'll have more to say later... :)

Eargerly waiting :-)
-- Fernando