[PlanetCCRMA] Advice on Music Laptop?

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 07:26:01 2005

Hi,
   I bought a Compaq R3070 about 2 years ago and have had great luck
with it. Very Linux compatible. Good keyboard. TI 1394 chips. Wireless
has been a bit dodgy but I never tried very hard to get that working.
Great operation under Jack. I've run both PlanetCCRMA and Gentoo on it
and both have worked very, very well. (Jack at 64/2 is no problem)
This specific model is not available anymore but I'd be comfortable
buying another Compaq or HP machine. These all run in the $600-$750
range depending on model and options.

   When I bought this I took 5 Linux CDs to the store and booted every
one of them to see how they worked. At the time there was no DMA
support as the ATI chipset support was early on but after about a
month everything was in pretty good shape. I'd recommend running a FC
boot disk, a Gentoo boot disk, and possibly Knoppix, Damn Small Linux,
etc., and seeing the machine run Linux. Check hard drive performance
and look at the hardware with lspci. It will likely save you some pain
when you get the machine home.

cheers,
Mark