[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Problem with /usr/bin/jackstart

Ron Pepper feffer777@yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 18:03:02 2005

--- Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> > [rp@localhost ~]$ /sbin/lspci -v
> >
> > ...02:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs [SB Live!
> > Value] EMU10k1X
> >         Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 1003
> >         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 18
> >         I/O ports at ecc0 [size=32]
> >         Capabilities: <available only to root>
>
> I seem to remember a thread in the alsa lists about the "Live!
> Value"
> (you may want to google for it). Apparently this card has very
> little to
> do with the "real" Live!...

Thanks Fernando, I'm sure you're right that this is a very basic
on-board chip, that emulates many functions in software. I used the
ALSA pages relating to the emu10k1x chip to initially get any sound
from my box. I'll search again to see if they have any info about
recording from this chip.

This weekend, I thought I would try plugging line out to line in and
see if I could record audio streams that way. Is that reasonable?

Would it just be simpler for me to install another card, say a true
SoundBlaster Live! or an M-Audio AP2496? If I did that is it likely
that my FC3 system would easily recognize them? I don't want to spend
too much on a new soundcard, since I'll mainly be recording voice
audio and don't need exceptional quality. If I get a new card, should
I remove the ALSA module for the emu10k1x chip?

I've learned a great deal from the ccrma list. Thanks very much for
your effort!

Cheers,
Ron