[PlanetCCRMA] /var/ problem?

fonse006 fonse006@csusm.edu
Wed Aug 10 18:21:01 2005

>Tim Berghoff wrote:
>> Hi, Scott!
>>
>> Did you log in as root?
>> These "exclusive lock" errors always show up when I forget to su - .
>
>hey,
>
>i think that also happens if you're running two root tasks at once ...
>such as having synaptic running while trying to install an rpm manually ...
>
>shayne

There is one more possible cause for a rpm transaction lock failure.  Rpm
cannot allow two instances of itself to be running at the same time because if
they both happen to try to change the same resource it could lead to an
unstable system.  So before rpm makes any changes to the system or the rpm
database it checks to see if there is a transaction lock in the /var/rpm
filesystem.  If there are no current trasaction locks then it creates a file
that serves to claim that instace of rpm to have exclusive access to the rpm
database until it gives up that privilage voluntarily.  Obviously you cannot
get a transaction lock without root access as only root can write to this
filesystem, but one tricky thing that can happen is if rpm bombs out for some
reason it will not clean up the transaction lock and you will have to manually
remove it before you will be able to use rpm to change your filesystem.

Adam