[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Problem with /usr/bin/jackstart

Ron Pepper feffer777@yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 13:32:02 2005

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/6/05, Ron Pepper <feffer777@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Right. You can see from the message above that it doesn't like
> n=4
> > > and
> > > sseems to want you to use n=2.
> > >
> > > In terms of latency, n=2/p=1024 is the same as n=4/p=512.
> >
> > > So realtime is loaded but apparently your user account is not
> able
> > > access the capability...
> >
> > > I load realtime like this:
> > >
> > > modprobe realtime gid=408 any=1
> > >
> > > This grants group 408 the rights to use realtime capabilities.
> In
> > > my
> > > /etc/group file I have this line:
> > > realtime:x:408:mark
> >
> > > which places user mark in group 408. With my laptop I can then
> run
> > > jackd -R
> >
> > Thanks for breaking it down for me. So I added a group and then
> got:
> > [rp@localhost ~]$ jackd -d alsa -r 44100 -n 2 -p 1024 -d hw
> > result: a long string of "**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.031
> > msecs"
>
> Right, so without realtime capabilities your system needs to run
> with
> more latency. You would try 2/2048 or 2/4096, etc. I'm not saying
> these would be of any value in real life but rather it's jsut the
> way
> you'd get things to run without realtime and without xruns.
>
> Below why dod you switch beack to -n 4?????
>

> > Then tried:
> > [rp@localhost ~]$ jackd -d alsa -r 44100 -n 4 -p 1024 -d hw
> > jackd 0.99.36
> > Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> > jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> > This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> > under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> >
> > JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> > `default' server already active
> >
> > Does this mean jack is already running or that another sound
> server
> > is running and blocking it? When I then try to run xmms, I must
> quit
> > the terminal and use the ALSA plugin for output. The Jack plugin
> > freezes xmms when I try it.
>
> Yes, Jack was still running somewhere. This is not good and would
> have
> stopped JAck from starting if it was already running. You would run
>
> ps aux
>
> to see the process stack and then kill any jack processes that are
> running. Note that this may leave behind fifos in memory somewhere
> and
> still confuse JAck. If you're not reasy to clean all this stuff up
> by
> hand yet then possibly a reboot would be better for you.
>

> > > What confuses me about all of this is that I thought Fernando's
> > > scripts set all this up automatically...

> [...]

Thanks for explaining details about the relationship between ALSA,
Jack and sound apps. I'm still somewhat concerned that my sound card
is even full duplex capable. I checked a couple of sites and it seems
my options are to ask the manufacturer (Creative or Dell) or to make
a test and play a stream and record it at the same time. Of course,
this is what I've been trying, but unable to do under FC3. Since the
machine dual boots with XP, I went to the windows side and tried to
play and record at the same time. Windows Sound Recorder wasn't
installed, so that may be a sign. Anyway, I downloaded a demo
recording app and made the test. The recorder seemed to "hear" the
audio (equilizer bars moved appropriately), but the resulting MP3 was
silent when played back. This was the same behaviour I got with FC3.
So now I'm really concerned that the on-board sound chip may only be
half-duplex. Is there any other test that anyone knows about to tell
me for sure?

Maybe my best next step would be to buy and install a new soundcard.
What do you think? If so what would be a good choice? I'm not
interested in high end audio like many of CCRMA's users, but only
good quality for listening to music while I work, and being able to
play and record audio streams at the same time.

Cheers,
Ron