[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Problem with /usr/bin/jackstart

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:51:01 2005

On 8/10/05, Ron Pepper <feffer777@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for explaining details about the relationship between ALSA,
> Jack and sound apps. I'm still somewhat concerned that my sound card
> is even full duplex capable. I checked a couple of sites and it seems
> my options are to ask the manufacturer (Creative or Dell) or to make
> a test and play a stream and record it at the same time. Of course,
> this is what I've been trying, but unable to do under FC3. Since the
> machine dual boots with XP, I went to the windows side and tried to
> play and record at the same time. Windows Sound Recorder wasn't
> installed, so that may be a sign. Anyway, I downloaded a demo
> recording app and made the test. The recorder seemed to "hear" the
> audio (equilizer bars moved appropriately), but the resulting MP3 was
> silent when played back. This was the same behaviour I got with FC3.
> So now I'm really concerned that the on-board sound chip may only be
> half-duplex. Is there any other test that anyone knows about to tell
> me for sure?

Well, it seems from the work you've done that it's not full duplex.
I've heard of a couple of Creative Devices that weren't, but that was
quite some time ago. I no longer have the earlier parts of this
thread. Did you ever run and lspci -v and provide back the portion for
the sound card? I suspose I could help look it up.

I think the fool proof test would be to take an audio cable and plug
it between the output and the input. If you cannot record then most
likely it's not full duplex.

> Maybe my best next step would be to buy and install a new soundcard.
> What do you think? If so what would be a good choice? I'm not
> interested in high end audio like many of CCRMA's users, but only
> good quality for listening to music while I work, and being able to
> play and record audio streams at the same time.

Well, I think the best supported but good quality inexpensive PCI card
would probably the AP2496 from M-Audio. you can get those immediately
off of Ebay for <$75, maybe as low as $50. They work well. I have one
around here although it's currently in a windows box. Anyway it works
well.

There are probably a few inexpensive USB devices but I don't think
they are as stable as the AP2496.

Hope this helps,
Mark