[PlanetCCRMA] CCRMA and 64 bit Fedora

Tracey Hytry shakti@bayarea.net
Tue Aug 9 23:42:01 2005

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>
> > Nor do I think there are enough users yet to warrant the work involved.
> >
> for the record, count me as one ;-)

My machine(this machine) is also an athlon 64 also. I doubt if they are that rare.

I'm sure I could get better performance out of this with everything built for the 64bit system.  We have other machines here running the planet's setup and I probably wouldn't want to have another setup just for this machine right now anyway.

It seems that it's hard enough to keep the planet updated to the newest fedora release without having the extra problems of building for another arch.  Maybe down the line there will be more reason to get together an athlon and athlon64 version?
If someone asks me about what kind of a machine to buy, I'm going to say an athlon for audio work;  and I'm sure we're going to see a lot more athlon and athlon64 users here as we go.

Even though only one of the four machines around here that can do serious audio work is an intel(two are athlon, this one athlon64);  I am can be realistic about how much Fernando can do, and as such can wait.

Tracey