[PlanetCCRMA] Allow Duplicate?

Sun Aug 7 14:08:01 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 11:16, scott james wrote:
> Hello. I read the  ccrma installation information but
> I could not get the stable kernal running.  I thought
> I followed all the directions correctly but the kernal
> will still not load. I did get the other kernal
> offered to load. Now I am having problems loading the
> audio/visual packages. The messages I'm getting look
> like this:only one version.

Hmmm, you seem to have multiple versions installed of many packages.
That's weird. You only need to have only one installed (and that's what
happens if you install with "-U"). For apt to be happy you have to
remove all but the last one. You can get a list if you do, for example:
  apt-get check

Pick one of the packages and do:
  rpm -q vim-common
You will get a list of the versions you have.
I don't remember on which distro this is, but you can first try this,
pick the oldest version and do:
  rpm -e vim-common-VERSION
Older rpm versions can't do this. If that's the case you could:
  rpm -e --nodeps --allmatches vim-common
(--nodeps makes rpm ignore that other packages need this, --allmatches
says "erase all versions"). After doing this with all the repeated
packages you could do a:
  apt-get -f install
so that apt will install missing dependencies, and then restore any
packages that you had to erase with "apt-get install packagename".

-- Fernando