[PlanetCCRMA] planetedge kernels and POSIX semaphores

Sat Aug 6 11:19:01 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 06:19, Charlls Quarra wrote:
>  --- Charlls Quarra <charlls_quarra@yahoo.com.ar>
> escribió:
> >  Hi,
> >
> > I've installed 2.4.26-1.ll. Looking in the config
> > file
> > i can't find a config option for enabling or
> > configuring Posix semaphores. Any knows where can i
> > learn about these options? Are they enabled in the
> > kernel?. Im trying some basic shared memory code and
> > get errors like "sem_open: function not
> > implemented"...
> >

> Looking a bit more into this, i found this mail from a
> year ago:
>
> http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2004-July/005471.html
>

> Yikes, this is bad. I assume just applying some NPTL
> patch to the kernel source and recompiling won't just
> work?

Why do you think this is related? NPTL is the threading library (the
newer one, that is). I would imagine that semaphores are not implemented
in it alone? Or is that the case?

> > On a related issue, what is the apt-get handle for
> > planetedge kernels? is possible to try out 2.6
> > kernels in my RH9 system?

I have not built 2.6.x kernels for rh9. I tried at the very beginning
but there are too many small problems in all the kernel related tools.

If you need 2.6.x I'd suggest FC3 at this point (or even FC4).
-- Fernando