[PlanetCCRMA] trying to user Midishare

Mon Apr 11 10:20:02 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 10:44, José H. Padovani wrote:
> I am trying to use Midishare to run OpenMusic. I have
> satisfied all it (Opernmusic's) dependencies and
> thought I had installed successfully MidiShare. When I
> try "msconnect" I have the response "Can't launch
> "msconnect" ! MidiShatre is not installed." The
> problem is - Synaptic says - that I need the package
> midishare-kernel. These packages need 2.4 kernels, if
> I try to ad one of them, they want to uninstall udev
> and a lot of packages (more than hundred packages
> incuding planet-ccrma audioapps and a lot of things).

The situation with openmusic for linux is not good at the time. It is,
afaik, no longer supported by ircam. The last version was not very
robust and it needs an older version of cmucl than the one I'm currently
using for the rest of the cm/clm/cmn common lisp based world, so it will
not work even on 2.4.x based versions of redhat/fedora. It also needs
midishare which I no longer build for the 2.6.x kernels (because
openmusic is/was the only package that needed it) - it is possible to
build the kernel modules but with the current state of om for linux it
is not worth it. Too bad, it looked really interesting.

-- Fernando