[PlanetCCRMA] Re: PlanetCCRMA on RHEL?

Axel Thimm planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Apr 7 11:12:01 2005

--g3RkK9jYN81zD2N+

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 12:54:09PM -0400, William M. Quarles wrote:
> Just wondering, why are there these repackaged "redistributions" of
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux?  Technically since it is all Gnu-licensed
> can't people freely redistribute it unaltered, too?

No, the GPL ensures free propagation of the sources, not the binaries.

> In that sense Red Hat Enterprise Linux is still free (Free), you
> just have to find a place that you can get it from.  I would
> probably use it if I knew where I could get it unaltered.  Provided
> that I had the time for it sometime this summer I would rebuild
> Planet CCRMA for it, too.

You do need a license for RHEL, anything else is non-legal. Or you can
rebuild RHEL from sources, which is why there are 1001 clones of RHEL.

I'm currently setting up RHEL support at ATrpms, when I get through
it I'd like to help CCRMA getting to RHEL, too. :)
--=20
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

--g3RkK9jYN81zD2N+

--g3RkK9jYN81zD2N+--