[PlanetCCRMA] Latest updates = total freeze

Thu Apr 7 10:21:01 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 10:14, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 06:55, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> > sorry to jump the gun on this one, but after all the trouble i've had
> > today, i updated through synaptic and was pleased to see and updated
> > planetcore and planetedge, so i grabbed em hoping they'd solve some of
> > the problems ...
> >
> > but both the updated planetedge and planetcore alsa modules and kernels
> > are totally broken for me and my SB Live ... as soon as i try to start
> > qjackctl in either kernel, the machine locks hard and i have to reboot
> > from the reset button.
>
> Ouch. Please note that there were no changes in the alsa kernel modules
> or the kernel itself. The change that could be triggering the problem is
> a change in the default priority of jackd itself (62 instead of the
> default 20). You could try changing that in qjackctl before starting
> jack. Obviously I did not see this in my tests here... arghhh....
>
> > also - the stable kernel fails to load the rtirq module on my machine ...
>
> Hmmm, that should have no consequences, the rtirq script is meaningless
> in the stable kernel as there are no separate processes and schedulling
> priorities for the interrupts. A newer/better version I just got from
> Rui is in the works.

Done, it is in the repository... you could upgrade if you want to test
it. Could you check (before or after) what the priorities of the
interrupts are? (the new version has much better reporting of the status
- thanks Rui!):
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/rtirq status

-- Fernando