[PlanetCCRMA] wierd hanging of jack, or some other process using fc3 edge kernel

Shayne O'Connor forums@machinehasnoagenda.com
Thu Apr 7 02:41:02 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>>You may want to post the oops to the alsa developers list, at this point
>>>this may be fixed in cvs but you never know, may be something new.
>>>

>>this is from Lee Revell:
>>

>Yes, I read the answer in alsa-devel...
>

>>>This problem is thought to be fixed in 1.0.9-rc2.  Please let us know if
>>>you still have the problem with a newer ALSA.
>>>
>>>Lee
>>>

>>i'll grab RC2 and install it to see how it goes ... i've got quite a bit
>>of recording to do today, so i should be able to give it a good test-run
>>... i'll post my results to the list (i'm wondering - is this affecting
>>everyone using the EMU10K1? it's a pretty popular card, and most of the
>>CCRMA alsa modules are 1.09rc1 now aren't they?).
>>

>I'm in the process of making rc2 cvs packages, let me know how it goes
>for your with plain rc2.

well, not too bad ... i think. i was recording for about 6 hours today
with an alsa 1.09RC2 driver, and didn't get any kernel oops from that ...

however, i'm not sure if i did exactly what was necessary to update to
RC2 - i just downloaded the driver package and built and installed that
as per one of your earlier suggestions:

>So... you want to overwrite the updated modules, and you can do that by
>supplying the proper flag to the alsa driver configure process:
>
>    --with-moddir=/lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION/updates
>
>With this added the install will overwrite the updated modules
>(installed through the kernel-module-alsa package for your kernel
>version). A subsequenct /sbin/depmod -a and /sbin/modprobe whatever
>should bring in the new version (provided you unload the modules first,
>of course).

and, although everything seems to run fine, i get this in "dmesg":

snd_seq_dummy: Unknown symbol snd_hidden_kcalloc
snd_seq_dummy: Unknown symbol snd_hidden_kfree
snd_seq_dummy: disagrees about version of symbol
snd_seq_create_kernel_client
snd_seq_dummy: Unknown symbol snd_seq_create_kernel_client

i've never been sure about updating alsa ... is it only necessary to
build and update the driver, or would i have to install the libraries
and alsa-kernel package as well? if it's only the driver that need be
updated, then i guess RC2 is not quite working proper here - the only
way i can see that the "dmesg" warning above is having an effect on my
setup is that the midi-thru ports that showed up in recent versions of
alsa is now gone.

i got the latest cvs, too, compiling and installing just the
alsa-driver, and get exactly the same warning in "dmesg".

i miss FC2 :(

shayne