[PlanetCCRMA] FC3 versus FC2 - experiences [was: wierd hanging of jack, or some other process using fc3 edge kernel]

Shayne O'Connor forums@machinehasnoagenda.com
Wed Apr 6 16:52:01 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Apr 6, 2005 8:23 AM, Shayne O'Connor
>

>>what are other people's experiences vis-a-vis stable kernel on FC3?
>>

>I couldn't get FC3 to even install on my Wife's hyperthreading machine
>using the standard or SMP kernels. FC2 runs really well. Since all
>three of use run Linux on our day-to-day machines I ended up stucking
>with FC2 to make everything consistent. They are all Planet updated
>with normal (non-edge) stuff. Things are working well.

hi mark - yeah, i've been using FC2 since i first got CCRMA installed
(took me *ages* to figure it out initially). starting from the 2.6.9
kernels, things got *really* good with stability, and i have been doing
heaps of recording (finished one song, with three more edging
neck-and-neck to the finish line).

unfortunately, i got it into my thick head that i wanted to use
Evolution 2 as my email client. couldn't find any *.rpm packages, so i
set out to build it myself - truly stuffing my system (trying to replace
pango with the version that Evolution 2 required) to the point where i
couldn't start the X server, and couldn't even do the old "apt-get -f
install" (?) to fix things up from a command line.

so, having to reinstall anyway, i thought i may as well upgrade to FC3,
which has Evolution 2 by default, plus many up-to-date libraries that i
thought i needed to build some interesting new apps.

well, i've given Evolution 2 a try, and it sucks (like getting a sumo
wrestler to take out a march fly, or something), and here i am with FC3 :)

FC3 seems to be OK - i'm just gonna have to get off planet-edge, methinks.

>My audio laptop is Gentoo, and long term I may move everything to
>Gentoo to have more access to non-audio applications, but for now
>everything is fine using stable-Planet.

i'm scared of Gentoo - i know if i started to get involved in that, i'd
turn into a vampire who never touches an instrument again :D

shayne