[PlanetCCRMA] wierd hanging of jack, or some other process using fc3 edge kernel

Shayne O'Connor forums@machinehasnoagenda.com
Wed Apr 6 16:40:02 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>>Basically it is a "crash" internal to the kernel, it finds some internal
>>>inconsistency that should not happen, reports an error (grep -i oops to
>>>find them) with a stack dump and shuts down a portion of the kernel. In
>>>extreme cases the machine hangs completely - the kernel is so confused
>>>that nothing else is allowed to happen. In other cases just a driver
>>>crashes and then anything having to do with that driver hangs, which may
>>>mean the whole thing hangs or just weird things happen.
>>>

>>ok, i managed to catch the output of an Oops! just now using dmesg after
>>jackd hung again ... this is using the latest edge kernel for FC3. i
>>think i'll have to leave planetedge and take it easy on planetnormal for
>>a bit :)
>>

>You may want to post the oops to the alsa developers list, at this point
>this may be fixed in cvs but you never know, may be something new.
>
>-- Fernando

this is from Lee Revell:

>This problem is thought to be fixed in 1.0.9-rc2.  Please let us know if
>you still have the problem with a newer ALSA.
>
>Lee

i'll grab RC2 and install it to see how it goes ... i've got quite a bit
of recording to do today, so i should be able to give it a good test-run
... i'll post my results to the list (i'm wondering - is this affecting
everyone using the EMU10K1? it's a pretty popular card, and most of the
CCRMA alsa modules are 1.09rc1 now aren't they?).

shayne