[PlanetCCRMA] Migrating to Edge: Expectations & Anticipations?

Jason Balicki kodak@frontierhomemortgage.com
Tue Apr 5 18:51:02 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <mailto:nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> Was this the first reboot after the install?
> What were the symptoms?

No, I had rebooted many times.  I kept having to go
from Windows to Linux.  I added all my USB MIDI
devices, but it seemed to be about the time I added the
ability to connect via pptp to my work vpn.  However,
I can connect just fine in the 2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc3.ccrma
kernel (I'm using it right now) and sound works fine.
It's only with the edge kernel that I have the "Unknown
parameter '`"-no sound issue.

I'm not sure what you're asking for in terms of
symptoms.  There weren't any, really.  I hadn't
yet set up the levels to store, so I was used to
having to load up alsamixer to up the levels and
got the "No mixer elems found" (I butchered that
first time around, sorry. :) and saw that there
were no modules loaded.  The only indication
I have that anything is wrong is in dmesg, and
what you see below is all I could find.

>> snd_emu10k1: Unknown parameter `'
>> snd_cmipci: Unknown parameter `'
>
> Sounds like something is wrong in whatever you have in
> /etc/modprobe.conf, could you post the contents?

Sure:

alias eth0 3c59x
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-cmipci
options snd-cmipci index=1
remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
install snd-cmipci /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-cmipci && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-cmipci { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-cmipci
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
alias usb-controller2 uhci-hcd

I added the "options snd-[emu10k1|cmipci] index=[0|1]
lines, but other than that I believe it's stock.

Thanks for taking an interest, Fernando.

--J(K)