[PlanetCCRMA] file systems

R Parker rtp405@yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 08:45:01 2005

--- Peter Lutek <plutek@infinity.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 05:24:33 +0000,
> <lewis.jon@att.net> wrote:
>
> > I am in the planning stages of trying a Linux
> based DAW and wondering
> > which file system to use. What are my choices and
> what are the
> > advantages and disadvantages of each?
>
> i recently did some testing on this issue, comparing
> ext2, ext3, and xfs.
> xfs was the fastest, but not significantly. it is
> reported to be excellent
> at maintaining disk throughput from huge files, but
> i don't think i'm
> anywhere near the extremes which might make it
> really shine. disk i/o is
> unlikely to be your bottleneck these days anyways.

I recently switched from reiserfs to ext3 which has
improved disk performance significantly for me. With
reiserfs I was getting a dozen xruns a day. The xruns
are basically gone now.

I also use MMC ffw/rew alot and with reiserfs Ardour
would spit out disk i/o read errors making that
functionality unusable. With ext3 I'm able to ffw/rew
and only get the read errors when the working drives
reach or exceed 75% used.

My disk system is hardware scsi raid. I ran reiserfs
on a raid level 5 and am running ext3 on level 0. That
change could also be contributing to the improved
performance.

ron