[PlanetCCRMA] file systems

Peter Lutek plutek@infinity.net
Tue Apr 5 05:58:01 2005

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 05:24:33 +0000, <lewis.jon@att.net> wrote:

> I am in the planning stages of trying a Linux based DAW and wondering
> which file system to use. What are my choices and what are the
> advantages and disadvantages of each?

i recently did some testing on this issue, comparing ext2, ext3, and xfs.
xfs was the fastest, but not significantly. it is reported to be excellent
at maintaining disk throughput from huge files, but i don't think i'm
anywhere near the extremes which might make it really shine. disk i/o is
unlikely to be your bottleneck these days anyways.

i've gone with ext3 for my system partitions, and xfs for my dedicated
audio data partitions.

-p