[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA on RHEL?

William M. Quarles walrus@bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 4 09:55:01 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 11:46, Arnaud Gomes-do-Vale wrote:
>
>>Are there any plans to port PlanetCCRMA to RHEL and its clones? At the
>>moment, I am installing FCn with PlanetCCRMA (currently n=2) on our
>>Linux workstations and the short lifecycle of Fedora Core is beginning
>>to prove a problem. I am strongly considering switching to CentOS (a
>>free build of the RHEL sources) as CentOS-4 make a very good
>>workstation, and the main reason I cannot do it at the moment is the
>>lack of audio apps.
>

> CentOS 4 does look interesting. It would be interesting to rebuild
> Planet CCRMA on top of it for a more stable platform (perhaps too
> stable? What happens when a lot of the apps go to versions that won't
> build because of dependencies that are not there? - anyhow, perhaps I'm
> looking too far in the future :-)
>

>>I have tried to recompile a few packages from the FC3 repository on my
>>home CentOS-4 box (mainly low-level stuff like jack, fluidsynth and
>>LADSPA plugins), the builds seemed right, but I have not had time to
>>look into higher level apps like MusE or Ardour.
>

> I'm guessing but most probably the fc3 packages would install, have you
> tried that? Anyway, most probably a rebuild would not be too bad, it is
> just a matter of finding the time (ie: the resources) to do it.
>
> It certainly looks interesting.

Just wondering, why are there these repackaged "redistributions" of Red
Hat Enterprise Linux?  Technically since it is all Gnu-licensed can't
people freely redistribute it unaltered, too?  In that sense Red Hat
Enterprise Linux is still free (Free), you just have to find a place
that you can get it from.  I would probably use it if I knew where I
could get it unaltered.  Provided that I had the time for it sometime
this summer I would rebuild Planet CCRMA for it, too.

William