[PlanetCCRMA] wierd hanging of jack, or some other process using fc3 edge kernel

Shayne O'Connor forums@machinehasnoagenda.com
Mon Apr 4 04:57:01 2005

this is pretty vague, but i've been getting sporadic hanging of - i
think - the jack daemon with the latest CCRMA edge kernel for fedora
core 3.

what happens is this. either:

* i start jack with qjackctl, and then have a session with ardour,
hydrogen, and maybe some VST effects. sometimes, after closing hydrogen
and ardour, i'll press the "stop" button on qjactctl - but it will just
hang at that inbetween "stopping" state, never actually stopping
completely until i reboot.

* or, i go to start jack, which will fire up - but with no input/output
channels, and ardour complaining that the current song was recorded at
48000khz, not 0hz (yes - that's the sample rate that qjackctl shows!).
if i then stop jack, it will stop, but will not start again until i
reboot. i guess there is some interesting messages when it shuts down,
too - when it tries to umount /home, it is busy, along
with /var/lib/jack/tmp.

when i run gnome-system-monitor to try and kill jack, it doesn't show
jackd at all, but rather some blank processes that apparently aren't
using any resources, but are sure preventing my system from functioning
correctly.

here's a screenshot of the processes window:

http://www.machinehasnoagenda.com/images/unknown_process.gif

this isn't happening *all* the time, but enough to move me to action :)

is anyone having similar problems on fc3?

shayne