[PlanetCCRMA] Help: Alsa & Jack

Gregory McCourt greg.mccourt@englishfirst.com
Sat Apr 2 23:37:01 2005

Hello. I'm new to the Planet and FC3, and my previous experience was with doing extemporaneous work using csound on RH. I'm sure there is just something I'm overlooking here as nobody else seems to be having a problem with jackd. I'm using the current stable kernel of Planet (but want to try the Edge) on recent P4 hardware with an all SCSI subsystem (less fd and cdrom). My soundcard is one of the newer SB Live 7.1 24bit:

[admin@ip-61 ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [CA0106         ]: CA0106 - CA0106
                     Live! 7.1 24bit [SB0410] at 0xdf80 irq 20

Oddly, if I restart, or stop and start, alsa i get the following:
[root@ip-61 admin]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
Shutting down sound driver                                 [  OK  ]
Starting sound driver snd-ca0106                           [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1272: No soundcards found...
                                                           [FAILED]
[root@ip-61 admin]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
ALSA driver already running
Starting sound driver snd-ca0106                           [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
Restoring sound driver settings                            [  OK  ]
[root@ip-61 admin]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
Shutting down sound driver                                 [  OK  ]
[root@ip-61 admin]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
Starting sound driver snd-ca0106                           [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1272: No soundcards found...
                                                           [FAILED]

Notice that if I start again after the failed restart I get no error. I've been able to play audio from snd and ogg123, so I am getting output.

I apt-got qjackctl and started jack from there.

Commandline Warning:

Warning: no locale found: /usr/share/locale/qjackctl_en_US.UTF-8.qm

qjackctl message log:

14:02:23.948 Patchbay deactivated.
14:02:24.224 Statistics reset.
14:02:24.229 Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. MIDI patchbay will be not available.
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:451:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
14:02:57.770 Startup script...
14:02:57.770 artsshell -q terminate
14:02:58.039 Startup script terminated with exit status=256.
14:02:58.039 JACK is starting...
14:02:58.039 /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2
14:02:58.052 JACK was started with PID=5217 (0x1461).
jackd 0.99.36
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
nperiods = 2 for capture
nperiods = 2 for playback
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.022 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.024 msecs

...and xruns there after.

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks in advance.

greg