[PlanetCCRMA] Failure starting ALSA with an MAudio Delta 66

Simon Schampijer simon.schampijer@nuim.ie
Fri Apr 1 04:19:02 2005

> I think I get the same behaviour with my Tascam USB
> module. I could do store and restore and card 1 , but the
> script failed. (the tascam only has hardware mixers so
> store doesn't really do anything anyway). I just thought
> the error wasn't a real problem - just looks untidy
>
> On Apr 1, 2005 4:25 AM, Brad Fuller <brad@sonaural.com>
> >  wrote: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> >  On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 07:13, Brad Fuller wrote:
> >

> >  Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> >

> >  On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 19:09, Brent Durbin wrote:
> >

> >  Hi All,
> > I'm new to the whole Linux Audio thing and was hoping
> > you could help me out. I installed FC3 on my system that
> >  has a MAudio Delta 66 card. I installed the PlanetCCRMA
> > stuff and updated to the Planet Edge so I could get ALSA
> > 1.0.8. When I do and alsasound restart I get: Shutting
> > down sound driver [ OK ] Starting sound driver
> > snd-ice1712 [ OK ] Starting sequencer [ OK ]
> > Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl:
> > load_state:1267: No soundcards found...
> >  [FAILED]
> >
> > Can anyone give me a clue as to what I should look at to
> > figure out what is wrong? Could it be a problem with
> > /etc/modprobe.conf? Here are the relevant lines:
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
> > options snd-card-0 index=0
> > install snd-ice1712 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
> > snd-ice1712 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1
> > >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r
> > --ignore-remove snd-ice1712
> > Also, envy24control starts, so I am pretty sure that I'm
> > using the correct kernel.
> >

> >  Meaning that the kernel module for the card is loaded
> > and the card is seen by envy24control? If so, you just
> > probably need to store the state of the mixer (some
> > settings and/or controls may have changed in the new
> >  alsa). Do: /usr/sbin/alsactl store
> > And then:
> >  /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
> > It should not complain anymore...
> >

> >  Just want to add that I also have a Delta66 and have
> > the same problem. I've done the store/restore but still
> > it doesn't remember. I too receive the following error
> > when restarting alsa:
> > Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl:
> > load_state:1272: No soundcards found... [FAILED]
> >
> > This seems to be a msg that should go to the ALSA dist
> >  list.
> >  Have you tried to redo the mixer state from scratch?
> > Delete or move away /etc/asound.state, then fire your
> > mixer, get the settings done and "/usr/bin/alsactl
> > store".
> > -- Fernando
> >
> >  just tried what you suggested. no change.
> >
> >  /usr/sbin/alsactl store and restore work fine, though.

Hi,
I at least found out what causes the trouble on my machine
even so I didn found a solution yet. A report:
I start the machine and the sounddriver is loaded fine
(alsasound status).
After starting the jack server and hydrogen for example i
have
got no sound comming out. When I open the alsamixer all the
settings are zero even so I stored them with
(/usr/sbin/alsactl store 0) the last time. So when I change
the dac of the alsamixer or do a (/usr/sbin/alsactl restore
0) I get sound out of the machine. When I stop alsasound and
start it again I get
the same errors than all the others.
[root@pygmalion erikos]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
Starting sound driver snd-ice1712                  [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [
 OK  ]
Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl:
load_state:1272: No soundcards found...      [FAILED]

So I say that the /etc/asound.state can`t be loaded
properly. As far as I understand the script alsasound, it
does load as default (asound.state).

Best Regards
Simon