[PlanetCCRMA] No frills window manager

Len lenb@geocities.com
Wed Sep 29 10:07:02 2004

--- Andres Cabrera <acabrera@teleset.com.co> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm wondering how I can set up (or find information for setting up) a no
> frills window manager with my planet CCRMA FC1 installation (please
> remember that I am pretty new to linux...). I can only choose between
> gnome and kde. Would doing that improve realtime audio (or video- as in
> pd gem) performance significantly?

Hi Andres,

I'm using Blackbox, which seems to have a much lower overhead than Gnome or KDE.  I have not made
any attempt to measure/quantify the difference, but I have read that it uses less system resources
than those two.  In order to configure Blackbox, you'll need also to install something like bbconf
or whitebox (I'm using bbconf).

Definitely no-frills!

Len