[PlanetCCRMA] RH9 CCRMA CDROM Install Snag -- apt-get dist-upgrade

Tue Sep 28 23:33:01 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 17:50, Barton Bosch wrote:
> I've run into a problem trying to install the RH9 Planet on the new
> computer (Sempron 2800+) that I've built.  I'm limited to 56k so
> I've been using the 10/14/2003 CDROMs that I have used to install on
> my production machine (PIII 550).
>
> Following the CCRMA docs included with the CDROMs everything has
> gone smoothly through installing apt, the CCRMA core, rebooting to
> the ll kernel.  But then in trying to run apt-get dist-upgrade the
> whole system freezes up when it tries to get glibc-common from the
> disks.
>
> Any ideas what is up?

The only thing I can think of is a problem in the cdrom itself. Have you
checked that the whole disk is readable? Are there any errors in the
system log when that happens? (as root in a terminal, do a "tail -f
/var/log/messages" while you try to install that particular package).

> BTW, should I be running an 'athlon' optimized kernel?  Are there
> any other gotchas that I should be aware of when trying to run low
> latency/sound software on an athlon based machine vs a PIII?

If you install the kernel components by installing the planetcore meta
package the proper architecture of the kernel for your machine will be
chosen (an athlon kernel in your case).

-- Fernando