[PlanetCCRMA] Clean FC2 install - no alsaconf - wrong Alsa drivers?

Tue Sep 28 17:22:01 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 15:27, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> The new kernel seems to be running:
>
> [root@flash root]# uname -a
> Linux flash 2.6.8.1-1.520.1vP9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma #1 Tue Aug 24 12:03:26 PDT
> 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> [root@flash root]#
>
> But the new Alsa isn't. The one I see seems to be what would be in the
> kernel download and not yours. I think I've just missed the step that
> gets the new Alsa turned on, but I cannot see it yet.
>
> [root@flash root]# cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4 (Mon May 17
> 14:31:44 2004 UTC).
> Compiled on Aug 24 2004 for kernel 2.6.8.1-1.520.1vP9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma.
> [root@flash root]#
>
> As for alsaconf, it's now showing up after I rebooted. It finds the
> ATIIXP, but then complains that it cannot load the right modules and
> gives up. Unfortunately alsaconf then overwrite the error messages and I
> Cannot copy them here. If I Ctrl-C out at the right time this is what I
> catch:
>
> Starting sound driver snd-atiixp WARNING: Error inserting snd_pcm
> (/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-1.520.1vP9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma/updates/acore/snd-pcm.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> FATAL: Error inserting snd_atiixp
> (/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-1.520.1vP9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-atiixp.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>

> Seems to me that I must have the wrong kernel-alsa-modules installed but
> I jsut keep missing the mistake I've made...

You seem to have the right kernel-alsa-modules. And the fact that it is
trying to load the modules from the "updates" directory means that the
module utilities are the right ones as well.

> Don't ask me why. I rebooted twice. It didn't work. I rebooted into
> Gentoo to do email. I shut down. I powered up. Now I have the right
> stuff, Alsa works and I get sound.

Don't know either...
Good luck and thanks for the feedback!

FYI in FC2 I have trouble starting jamin, just in case you hit this...
-- Fernando