[PlanetCCRMA] FC2 Bleeding Edge install question

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Tue Sep 28 16:02:01 2004

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:23:52PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>I've been running a Gentoo 2.6.8.1 modified kernel on this same machine.
>>Both CDRW and DVD+RW burning have been working very well for me. However
>>there have been a large number of bugs fixed recently in k3b-0.11.17
>>(one of my very favorite Linux apps) and I think that version is not in
>>the Planet's library if I understood Synaptic correctly. I intend to
>>build that one this afternoon and verify that it works with this kernel.
>

> Thanks for the tip, it looks like the least-bad CD writing interface I've
> seen, you can get FC2 RPMs here:
> http://rpms.xcyb.org/fedora/2/stable/RPMS/
>
> Not tested yet, but the UI works, and is *gasp* intuative.
>
> - Steve

k3b is a really wonderful program. Unfortunatley, as far as I can tell,
  it doesn't have any special audio CD capabilities (Que sheetes, etc.)
that I can find, but it handles data on CDs and DVDs very, very well.

One less than obvious capability is hidden in the menus. When you want
to burn an iso image you need to do that through the menu
Tools->CD->Burn CD Image. Likewise for DVDs I think although I haven't
downloaded any DVD images yet.

Again, make sure you are using 0.11.17 when you get around to depending
on this little gem. Lots of fixes recently.

Take care,
Mark