[PlanetCCRMA] Clean FC2 install - no alsaconf - wrong Alsa drivers?

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Tue Sep 28 15:28:01 2004

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 13:36, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>I did an updatedb/slocate alsaconf and came up with nothing. Is it
>>possible that alsaconf escaped the bleeding edge alsa compile, or is it
>>somethign to do with the next problem?
>

> "alsaconf" is part of the Planet CCRMA alsa-utils package. As outlined
> in a previous email you need to install the proper kernel-module-alsa to
> get the latest version (not the one included in the kernel itself).
>
> Try doing a:
> apt-get install alsa-utils
> if it is not already there.
> Or install the planetccrma-core rpm, which will bring an older kernel
> you can ignore and all the alsa goodies.
>
> Also, if you installed FC2 then alsa is probably already configured by
> the installation process (as FC2 uses alsa by default). It should work
> without reconfiguring it. That's something I have to fixin the web site
> with detailed FC2 specific configuration instructions.
>
> -- Fernando

I thought I had installed the right stuff. Did I make a mistake I'm
still not seeing? I've looked at this 5 times. I just don't see it.

[root@flash root]# apt-get install kernel#2.6.8.1-1.520.1vP9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma2
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
kernel#2.6.8.1-1.520.1vP9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded.
[root@flash root]#

[root@flash root]# apt-get install
kernel-module-alsa-2.6.8.1-1.520.1vP9.ll.rhfc2
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
kernel-module-alsa-2.6.8.1-1.520.1vP9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma is already the
newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded.
[root@flash root]#

The new kernel seems to be running:

[root@flash root]# uname -a
Linux flash 2.6.8.1-1.520.1vP9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma #1 Tue Aug 24 12:03:26 PDT
2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@flash root]#

But the new Alsa isn't. The one I see seems to be what would be in the
kernel download and not yours. I think I've just missed the step that
gets the new Alsa turned on, but I cannot see it yet.

[root@flash root]# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4 (Mon May 17
14:31:44 2004 UTC).
Compiled on Aug 24 2004 for kernel 2.6.8.1-1.520.1vP9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma.
[root@flash root]#

As for alsaconf, it's now showing up after I rebooted. It finds the
ATIIXP, but then complains that it cannot load the right modules and
gives up. Unfortunately alsaconf then overwrite the error messages and I
Cannot copy them here. If I Ctrl-C out at the right time this is what I
catch:

Starting sound driver snd-atiixp WARNING: Error inserting snd_pcm
(/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-1.520.1vP9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma/updates/acore/snd-pcm.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_atiixp
(/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-1.520.1vP9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-atiixp.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Seems to me that I must have the wrong kernel-alsa-modules installed but
I jsut keep missing the mistake I've made...

Mark